Do you have an upcoming interior painting project in Rochester Hills but can’t seem to figure out the right paint color?
We’ve worked with hundreds of homeowners in this area, and we understand your struggles.
Typically, we do offer free color consultation for each of our existing and new clients. However, if you need some tips on how to figure out the best interior color on your own, this article will come in handy. Use the following tips to make the color choosing process more fun and less intimidating.
Start By Analyzing Your Room
Analyze the decorations of your room to have an idea of what color is the best fit. It’s much easier to choose a paint color that goes with your furniture and decor than the other way round. If you choose the wall paint before the décor, you may end up limited to a few options of fabrics, decorations, and furniture that match your wall.
On the other hand, if you base your color scheme on existing items, you will be much more likely to get a color scheme that fits naturally. Patterned elements are particularly interesting options, as they often incorporate several shades and can be used as a base for your entire color palette
Apply These Few Golden Rules
Rules for selecting the right paint color
Over the years, many interior designers have established general rules to follow when decorating the interior to realize the best results.
- Decorate from dark to light, vertically – it is advisable to use darker shades for the floor, medium hues for the walls, and light shades for the ceiling for a natural, beautiful look. The goal is to imitate the outside environment and to represent it in the room.
- The rule of three colors –A well-balanced interior décor and paint scheme should be based on three colors.
- The rule of 60-30-10 –When painting, divide the colors as follows: 60% of a dominant color (walls), 30% of a secondary color (doors, ceiling, windows, etc.) and 10% of an accent color (accessories and decorations).
Look At the Adjacent Rooms
Have you ever visited a house where paint choices were very odd from room to room? Naturally, this is not pleasant for the eyes. Usually, this feeling occurs when homeowners try to do too much with different color concepts! It may be interesting to give each room its own style and color scheme but always take into account that the interior of a house must be consistent from one room to another.
Think about your emotions
It is a well-known fact that different colors create different moods, and this affects our emotions. Your color scheme can affect you psychologically when you spend a lot of time in a room with a dominant color.
- Soft, cool, and neutral colors usually create a feeling of calm while stronger colors are more dramatic.
- Warmer, contrasting, and slightly brighter colors add to a sociable atmosphere. Green blues and deeper neutrals will give a more formal atmosphere.
- Be careful not to overstimulate your children and other occupants with intensely bright colors. Some brighter colors can cause irritability!
Do Not Be Fooled By The Color Chart
The color charts provided in the store or online are handy for selecting the right colors. However, remember that the applied hue is often darker than the tone on the color chart. That is due to several factors like lighting, different layers of paint, and even the shape and orientation of the surface being painted. Consider choosing a shade below the one you want to avoid this surprise.
Test the Effect Of Lighting On Your Color
Like it or not, the way a room is lit can have a massive impact on its appearance. Each type of light generates a different shade of color. That’s why the rooms are often very different at night compared to the day. With that in mind, it’s essential to make sure you’re happy with your choice of color, regardless of the time of day. You can always request for a sample to test the color shade on your wall and observe at different times of the day.
The Bottom Line
Choosing interior paint can be fun and exciting, but it can also be a little intimidating. Use the above tips to make sure that you don’t end up with any unpleasant surprises.
If you need professional help with your home interior repainting project, Eason Painting can help. We have years of experience offering residential painting services in Macomb Township, Washington Township, Ray Township, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Romeo, Armada, Troy, Shelby Township, Harrison Township, Chesterfield, and Clinton Township, MI.
Call us today on 586-465-5081 for a FREE painting estimate.